Tuesday, June 26th, 2018:
Studio work really came into play today. One of our clients told us this morning that they wanted the cinematic of all of our shots playblast 'rendered' and put into a full sequence by the end of day, that way they could see it all together. This isn't obscene, it was just a surprise due to them telling us this morning and wanting it completed.
Our main issue was that although we had playblasts of the shots, they weren't all at the same render settings. So my job for the day was to re-playblast out everything (27 shots) through House of Moves' Shotgun software - that way it would be in the network drive, but also in the Shotgun drive as well, without having to change naming conventions.
Cerina, the Pipeline TD, showed me the process of using Shogun, and the steps I needed to take to playblast these shots:
1. Find the playblast task within the Shotgun system (she made this task for me so it would be simple to find all of the shots from there)
2. Launch the Maya scene from within Shotgun (don't just open it based off of your computer shortcut)
3. Change the render settings per scene:
- FPS: 30
- Turn off HUD
- HD 720
- Textures on
- Render from proper camera (depending on the scene)
- Change camera settings to horizontal under fit resolution gate
- Change camera settings overscan to 1.00 and turn off display options
4. Playblast through Shotgun.
5. Review Output.
6. Post to Shotgun.
From here until about 3:00 p.m. I got all 27 shots playblasted out to hand off for editing, to then send to the client later today.
Moving forward! From 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. I went onto the motion capture stage to work with Troy - today in Shogun rather than Blade.
He told me that although most people do make their skeletons typically in Maya and then export the FBX over into another software such as MotionBuilder or Blade, we also need to know how to build our own from scratch from within the system (Shogun or Blade).
We then proceeded to start making a quadruped data skeleton from scratch within Shogun. We had an old template, that way we could work off of correct naming conventions.
In building the skeleton here are the steps that I took:
1. Make your layout have these windows open: Interface, Node editor (hierarchy), Attributes, and Channels
2. Go to create object - actor/prop - character
3. Name this character attribute you just created 'dog'
4. Go to create object - actor/prop - labeling setup
5. Just keep this named 'labeling setup'
6. Go to create object - actor/prop - labeling bone
7. Rename this (which is now the root) to 'hips'
8. Change this to a color rather than the default grey
9. On this labeling bone (the hips), turn on the Degree of Freedoms both Translate and Rotate
10. Continue to create labeling bones - Spine (the template has the first one named Spine Dummy), and continue to build the spine from here with multiple labeling bones but have these and the rest of the bones (all but the hips) only have the Rotate Degree of Freedoms turned on - not the Translates
11. Continue to do this through the rest of the bones
Today, we built everything in the template except for the hand and feet (aka paw) area. That is what we will continue with starting tomorrow. And then moving forward from there, do a solving bone setup as well.
DAILY HOURS: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (9 hours)
CONSECUTIVE HOURS: (109 hours)